Dionex Application Improves Determination of Sulfate and Sulfamate in Topiramate Using Ion Chromatography
Dionex announces a new method for determination of sulfate and sulfamate in a pharmaceutical preparation using Ion Chromatography. Application Note 238: Determination of Sulfate and Sulfamate in Topiramate Using a Reagent-Free Ion Chromatography System describes a method that uses a Reagent-Free™ ion chromatography (IC) system with the IonPac® AS11 column and suppressed conductivity detection for the determination of sulfate and sulfamate in topiramate.
Topiramate is a second-generation antiepileptic drug used for the treatment of seizures and migraines. At elevated temperatures and humidity, the active pharmaceutical ingredient can degrade to produce organic degradation products, insoluble polymeric products, and the inorganic anions sulfamate and sulfate. Determination of sulfate and sulfamate (the inorganic degradation products) can be used to monitor and confirm topiramate degradation.
The method described in AN 238 demonstrates good linearity, precision, and accuracy for determining these inorganic degradation byproducts. This method also provides a simpler approach than the current and proposed USP methods for analysis of this drug product.
Source: Dionex Corp.
More news from this company
- Thermo Fisher Scientific to Acquire Dionex Corporation (12/14/2010)
- Dionex Application Improves Determination of Iodide and Iodate in Seawater and Other Saline Matrices (10/02/2009)
- Dionex Enters into Agreement with ESA Biosciences to Acquire the Assets of ESA Life Sciences Tools Business Unit (09/17/2009)
- Dionex Customer Application Improves Resolution and Separation of Intact Proteins (06/03/2009)
- Dionex Releases AutoTrace Instrument Application Briefs and Application Notes (04/07/2009)