Thermo Fisher Scientific Selected by China Doping Control Center to Supply Testing Instrumentation for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing
Thermo Fisher Scientific announced that the China Doping Control Center (CDCC) has selected the company as one of its major suppliers of instrumentation and software for the testing of athletes at the 29th Olympic Games in Beijing. The CDCC has been accredited by the Chinese government and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to conduct all doping control analyses during the 2008 Summer Olympics.
The company will provide the CDCC with a range of high precision and high performance Thermo Scientific brand mass spectrometry (MS) instruments, including DFS Sector Field GC/MS systems, the DELTA V isotope ratio mass spectrometer and triple-quadrupole TSQ Quantum(TM) Access LC/MS systems. These instruments and associated software will enable the CDCC to respond to the high volume of samples expected at the Summer Olympics. Thermo Fisher has also agreed to provide technical and application assistance to the CDCC to ensure uninterrupted operation and secure handing of athlete samples throughout the event.
"Identifying illegal performance-enhancing substances that are used in sports competition is a growing global challenge -- one made even more difficult by the development of sophisticated drugs that are increasingly difficult to detect," said Marijn E. Dekkers, president and chief executive officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific. "Our analytical instrumentation is ideally suited to meet this challenge, providing the high specificity and sensitivity, high throughput and reliability required in today's sports environment."
The CDCC testing program will start before the opening of the competition, and continue from the athlete check-in at the Olympic Village until the end of the games. All samples will be analyzed strictly in accordance with the IOC anti-doping rules for banned substances.
Source: Thermo Fisher Scientific
More news from this company
- High-Pressure Ion Chromatography System Delivers New Levels of Simplicity and Flexibility (02/11/2016)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of Life Technologies Corporation (02/06/2014)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Sells its Cell Culture, Gene Modulation and Magnetic Beads Businesses to GE Healthcare (01/08/2014)
- Patent for Multidimensional Chromatography Apparatus and Method for 2-D Ion Chromatography (05/08/2012)
- Dr. J. Sabine Becker Wins 2012 Winter Conference Award in Plasma Spectrochemistry (02/17/2012)