Development and validation of a LC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous determination of aflatoxins, dyes and pesticides in spices
Based on several alerts from European countries over the last years concerning spices, CRL has been encouraged to establish an accurate method for the determination of dyes, aflatoxins and pesticides in various types of spices using reversed-phase (RP) liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry interfaced with electrospray (LC-ESI-MS/MS). A simple sample treatment procedure entailing the use of an extraction step with acetonitrile without further cleanup has been developed. A C18 column with an aqueous ammonium formate/methanol mixture as the mobile phase was used, and gradient elution was performed. Mass spectral acquisition was done in positive ion mode by applying multiple reaction monitoring of at least two fragmentation transitions per compound to provide a high degree of selectivity.
The method was inhouse validated in terms of linearity, sensitivity, repeatability, recovery and selectivity on six kinds of spices. Satisfactory results in the majority of the cases were obtained for all analytes and matrices, with practical limits of quantitation acceptable for routine monitoring purposes. Extraction recoveries for most of the compounds ranged from 60% to 140% at spiking levels of 0.05 and 0.5 mg kg1. The applicability of the method for the simultaneous determination of dyes, aflatoxins and pesticides in several types of spices was demonstrated, and the method successfully applied to a limited number of products from the local market.
Full article: ANAL BIOANAL CHEM. DOI 10.1007/s00216-010-3526-x
More news from this company
- Pesticide residue analysis of fruit juices by LC-MS/MS direct injection. One year pilot survey (02/15/2011)
- Approach by Gas Chromatography-Quadrupole-Mass Spectrometry for Pesticide Residues in Fruits and Vegetables (01/22/2010)
- Validation and uncertainty study of a comprehensive list of 160 pesticide residues (02/24/2009)
- New Rules on Pesticide Residues in Food (10/08/2008)
- Pesticide EU-MRLs Database (09/03/2008)