Pharmacovigilance covers the safety and risk issues one must address to ensure patients receive safe drugs. This course will give students a working knowledge of all aspects of drug safety monitoring and risk management, enable them to predict and analyse drug interactions and recognise the implications for prescribing and product license. The student will also be familiar with pharmacovigilance best practice, including monitoring strategies and action plans, and will be fully cognizant of regulatory reporting requirements.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Understand and critically appraise the principles of pharmacovigilance and landmark cases effecting change to recent drug safety issue
- Explain key operational drug safety definitions
- Demonstrate good pharmacovigilance practice and locate key sources of information and documentation
- Comprehend and discuss global pharmacovigilance
- Understand drug development and discuss the risks and safety assessment
- Critically explain the strengths and weakness of pharmacovigilance reporting systems future challenges in drug safety and pharmacovigilance